Thursday 7 May 2009

Human Endurance Centre



This week i made a second trip to the Human Performance Centre at Lincoln University. I am one of a 'cohort' of about 50 ultra runners who are taking part in Paul Murgatroyd 's research project into understanding physiology of ultra runners. I was going to write more... but spotted that Nick Ham has also written about his visit this week on his blog - so i think i will cheat and recommend you check out his blog for more info! http://ultraploddernick.blogspot.com/ .

Paul was keen to collect data in the lab close to the data he collected at the Calderdale Hike. For me many of my measurements were similar, although i have decreased my heart rate at my LT point, which is good. Also my "running economy" has improved (although last time i weighed in lighter than usual - i think my weight this time was more realistic) , but my VO2 max had decreased slightly. Paul puts the info together with some personalised training tips, but hopefully the main learning from this work will be to really study a whole group of runners. How does the lab data compare to "on the day"? - well Paul is looking in to it -- for me at Calderdale i ran for 6hr40min with an average HR of 154bp (82% my max heart rate) -- quite close to my HR at LT (HR at LT this week in the lab 151bp) and i hardly went above my HR at lactate turn-point 165bp).

Right, better get some sleep - i think that is now the best prep for Fellsman (where i won't be wearing a HR monitor nor donating blood en route - plenty of other things to think about i expect!) Let see if my "improved fitness" helps get me round 62 hilly miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment